At Saatchi & Saatchi Wellness, an unlikely favorite has emerged during our Healthy Lunch Wednesdays—kale salad. The line extends through the hallway with most team members hoping to get a scoop of this delicious salad on their plates.
“Kale, delicious?” You ask? Very much so, but that’s not all. What’s so super about kale is its extremely high concentrations of vitamins K, A, and C—in addition to being an excellent source of manganese and fiber.
Below is an adaptation of the salad SSW loves so much. No stove required. Try it. Your body and taste buds will thank you. (And you thought healthy food couldn’t be tasty.)
SSW Kale Salad With Pine Nuts, Cranberries and Parmesan
1 bunch curly leaf kale, destemmed and broken into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons agave nectar
2-3 tablespoons dried cranberries
3 tablespoons pine nuts (alternative: slivered almonds, walnuts)
Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
1. Remove the large stems from the leaves of the washed and dried kale. Break up into pieces.
2. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon onto kale. Toss.
3. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
4. Massage salt and lemon juice into the kale. At this point, kale fibers will begin to break down.
5. Make dressing by whisking together 1/8 cup of white balsamic vinegar, 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons agave nectar.
6. Lightly toast 3 tablespoons of pine nuts in a stainless steel pan. Watch out, these can burn easily!
7. Add dressing, pine nuts and 2-3 tablespoons of dried cranberries to kale. Toss.
8. Plate and add Parmesan cheese to taste.